By omoch mochi mochi and m1719

It was announced that the rainy season was over around  Kanto-area. Recently, it is so hot everyday. I am a little bit sick

from the summer heat.Although the heat is getting to me, I have one thing which I am really exited about. Summer festivals

are around the corner. There are many traditional and historical festivals in Japan like Nebuta-Mtsuri in Aomori , Kyoto-

Gionsai .

However, there are more unique and even stranger festivals. We would like to introduce some of them in the article.

御柱祭(onbashira matsuri)

関連画像

This matsuri only happens once in 7 years in Nagano. This matsrui is said to be held for the gods of hunting, wind, water and good harvest.

The concept is very simple: People(men) cut down 8 huge trees which are usually about 17 meters in length, 1 meter in diameter, and about 10 tons. Then the participants carry the tree around.

In April, you can see the 「山出し」which consists of the participants pulling the trees down a slope(while riding on it), and in May, you can see the 「川越」which means participants carrying the trees through a freezing river without wearing a swimsuit.

This matsrui is said to be one of the most ‘strange’ matsruis in Japan, and it is so dangerous a few people have died.

笑い祭り(waraimatsuri)
First, I would like  to show this picture. If you have coulrophobia ( ピエロ恐怖症), you’d better not to see it…

This weird man who painted his face white  takes a main role in this festival. This is warai-matsuri in Wakayama.  He walked around the town with ringing a bell and saying ” Just laugh! Just laugh! ” .
This festival started in Edo-period so it has a long history.
The festival is based on the legend of Niutsuhime-No-Kimoto goddess. Nitsuhime was late for a gathering of gods  so she was sad and depressed. The people who live in the village tried to cheer her up by saying ” Just laugh , Just laugh ”.
This is the beginning of this festival.
Once spectators see the white painted face, they burst into laughter!
So these are the interesting festivals held in Japan. If you have the time, maybe it’ll be fun to actually go there and enjoy the festivals. But the next 御柱祭(onbashira matsuri) will be held in 2022, in the year of tiger, and the 笑い祭り(warai matsuri) will be held on October.
Works cited
http://jpninfo.com/108761
http://suwataisha.or.jp/onbasira.html

3 thoughts on “Strange Japanese Festivals

1. I don’t think the painted face is funny at all, but it’s interesting to know the origin of festivals.