By bubblegumpajamas

This summer, I went to England with my family. We visited London, Cotswolds, Bath, and Chichester.

While I was there, I noticed many differences in the English that was used in England compared to the English used in the US.

For example, at the platform there was a sign that said `Mind the gap. `where as in the US, it would have said `watch your step`. Also, elevators were called `lifts`, French fries were called `chips` and potato chips were called `crisps`. There was also a sign on an ice cream truck that said `A creamy treat! `. I thought this phrase was very cute. Maybe in the US that would be `A tasty snack` or `A special dessert` or something.I also noticed how people called each other differently. I heard many people say `Love` or `Dear` where as in the US you would say `Honey` or `Sweetie`. Listening and reading these differences entertained me very much.

I enjoyed my stay, sightseeing, learning new  culture, eating new foods, but I especially enjoyed listening to the people speaking around me, listening to the slight differences in the words or phrases that were used.

(Cotswolds)

3 thoughts on “My trip to England

1. This summer, I visited England for the first time.
    As written in this article, there are so many words that are different from the American English, such as calling potato chips ‘crisps.’
    Since I was traveling alone, I went to a super market and couldn’t find bags of potato chips anywhere.
    I asked on of the employees for ‘chips’ but he could not understand what I was looking for.

2. I have the image of British people using “love” or “lovely” often.
    I love the way they pronounce these words!