What image do you have towards Russia? Some people say that it is a cold country. The other says that Russians drink a lot of Vodka. However, the real life of Russia might be different from what you may think!

From 15th of August to 26th of August, I went to Novosibirsk, Russia. Novosibirsk is located in Siberia, and it is said the third largest city in Russia. Since it was summer, the temperature was not so cold, so that we could walk the town in short sleeves.

What astonished me the most was Russian building. In Russia, because there are no earthquake and typhoon, the beautiful Russian and Soviet architect still exist, and people are still living there. So I could see many beautiful buildings from various eras while I was walking in the town.

I also visited many Russian churches during mstay. Russian church was prettyt from Catholic church. First of all, ladies must cover their head to enter the church. Also, how to make the sign of cross is also different. What is more, the icon can be seen in Russian churches. I was fascinated by the beauty of Russian church.

When I visited the church, I did not know how to behave in Russian church. However, as soon as Russians recognized me as Japanese, they kindly taught me how I should do. What is more, they give me a little gift when I left the church. (It was honey!!) Many Japanese people believe that Russian is not friendly at all. However, as far as I know, many Russians talked to me kindly, treated me warmly with respect. Of course, I liked Russian culture( deformed child museum was a little bit eerie, though), but what I like the most is Russians.

( the honey Russian gave me!!)

It is said that Russia is the closest but furthest country to Japan. I hope this blog will change the image of Russia even slightly and I wish you have a interest towards that country.

by ohitashiofhourensou

3 thoughts on “Travelogue of Russia

1. Your post was interesting! I have never met a friend who visited Russia so I want to know more about your trip. How did you have to behave in Russian Churches? Did you sing hymn? Do Russian Churches have bible like other religions? Also, in your opinion, how can Russia and Japan can be “closer”?
    By the way, my image toward Russia has changed:)

2. This blog post made me realize how stereotypical my thoughts on Russian people were. I thought that Russian people are not so friendly, so I was surprised to hear how friendly and lovely they are. I would love to visit Russia one day!

3. The image of people from Russia changed reading this text.
    As a Japanese, had a hard time in Europe feeling like a minority.
    However, the attitude you have might affect the way the people in that country treat you. By showing respect towards their culture and people, they might treat you the same way you are treating them.
    Especially for Russia, I had a very typical cliche towards the people of Russia.