Written by Yukimaru and m1719

Hi everyone! How are you all spending Christmas?

In most countries, it’s a holiday that you spend with your family, but in Japan, people tend to spend Christmas with their boyfriends/girlfriends. There is even a term called “クリぼっち” which is a term for people who are completely alone during Christmas.

However, in reality, we discovered that Japanese Christmas is not necessarily an occasion for couples. Here is the statistics conveyed by Hikaru and Mana:

208 people seen between Yokohama and Sakuragicho Station

family 65

alone 59

couples 32

workers 30

friends 24

From the results above, we can see that most people spend Christmas with their families. But this data does not include people inside shopping malls and restarurants, so the ratio may vary according to time and place.

We sometimes see people depressed about being alone during Christmas; if you happen to come across one of them, please show them this data and cheer them up.

Have a merry Christmas 😉

3 thoughts on “Christmas in Japan

1. I spent amazing Christmas Day with my best friends! So i succededed in avoiding being くりぼっち…phew… Hope I’ll have a cute boyfriend next Christmas!

2. I spent my Christmas with my family like always! I think Christmas is a great day to spend time with your family. I baked a cake and some cookies with my sister 😉

3. Spending time during the holidays with family is a great way to spend time!
    I think that Christmas in Japan has changed into an event for couples instead of family and friends.
    Like the tradition of Halloween, whenever the culture comes into Japan, it changes its original way of celebrating the event. It is sometime a good thing to adapt to the culture, but like the incidents of Halloween, I think that sometimes by changing the way of the event, it ruins the original style.